Quote of the Day

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Food: Hula Dining on the Water

The Hula Bay Club is one of only a few Tampa water-side dining establishments and it has been tantalizing our taste buds for several years now ever since the Rattlefish shut down.Thankfully, you don't need to don a hula skirt to dine at the Hula Bay Club, so we sashayed over for lunch and a lei the other day. I never did get the lei I was hoping for, but lunch more than made up for that omission.

When the weather cooperates we enjoy sitting on the outside deck overlooking the...wooden railing. That, by the way, is my only gripe about HBC. Either the deck chairs need to be higher or the railing needs to be lower to be able to enjoy the view. Another alternative would be a booster chair for adults, or you could just sit at one of the high-tops on the upper deck.

With a name like Hula Bay you could imagine that the place has a tropical decor, and it does. The HBC has live entertainment some afternoons and in the evening, but we usually just go for the food which is an eclectic mix ranging from oysters on the half shell, to sliders, to sushi, to prime steaks, to a myriad of most satisfying steamed, grilled, and sautéed seafood choices. The baked oysters with wasabi crust that I ordered would have knocked my socks off had I been wearing socks. My, oh, my were they good.

Some other winning choices that I have enjoyed are the Spicy Ahi Poke with a side of seaweed salad, the fish tacos, and Spicy Tuna Tataki. My Buck-Eye Bride, who is not a real fan of seafood, ordered the Big Duke Burger this last trip and the Big D got a "thumbs-up."

This SOG City (South of Gandy) establishment is a great place to breathe in that salty air off the bay, and enjoy some good food and drink in a relaxing island setting. Oh yeah, full bar and great Mojitos!

Hula Bay Club Waterfront Bar & Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment