Quote of the Day

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Bangkok Sushi: Yummy For The Tummy

Now that I have reached a certain age of maturity (older than dirt according to my bride) driving long distances doesn't hold the same appeal for me as it did during my randy youth - even if that drive involves food at the end. So, the thought of driving to the nether reaches of Pasco County would not be high on my list of things to do, except that our daughter and son-in-law bought a house up yonder.

We made that drive this past Saturday to see their new home. It is beautiful, but after a few adult beverages we all decided that food might be in order. Knowing that I love all things Oriental, especially food, Mish suggested a Thai place just down the road called Bangkok Sushi, 16541 Village Drive in Lutz.

The name itself sounded intriguing since Bangkok and sushi are two names I wouldn't have associated with each other, but off we went. The interior of the restaurant is bright and just sparkles with the smiles and warm greetings from the staff and management.

We were promptly seated and presented with menus by Alisa, our server for the evening. Even if the food had not been spectacular, and it was, Alisa would have made the trip to Bangkok Sushi worthwhile. She took our drink orders and knew, when I asked for Thai water, that I wanted a Singha.

What impressed me the most about the food choices, on both the Thai menu and the sushi/sashimi menu, was the variety. Those menus featured items that I have never seen in Tampa restaurants. Piglette that I am, I wanted everything. Alas, my stomach wouldn't hold all that my eyes could see, so I had to limit my choices.

Surf Clam
From the sashimi menu I chose the Surf Clam and the Escolar. The Surf Clam is prized for its sweet flavor and my serving was delightful.  The escolar is a rich, buttery fish often referred to as white tuna. The escolar may not be a good choice for everyone, but it is heaven to the taste buds for me.

From the Thai menu, there were so many interesting choices: several styles of crispy duck (a personal favorite), frog legs with basil, or garlic and black pepper, and, of course, the ubiquitous Thai specialties. I was enticed by one of the traditional Thai salads, the Jumping Shrimp.

This dish was described as well cooked shrimp, onions, bell peppers, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, scallions, lime juice, cilantro, Thai spices, and sweet chili paste served on a bed of lettuce. The Jumping Shrimp Salad was a delightful, refreshing salad that I highly recommend. I only have two concerns about this salad. One is the description of "well cooked." I have to assume that means "perfectly prepared." It definitely didn't mean over-cooked.

The second issue I brought up to Alisa. There was absolutely no movement on the part of the shrimp on my plate. No jumping, no quivering, no nothing. She nodded her head and gave me that smile that I get from my bride that says, "Just humor him."

As far as spicy goes, Bangkok Sushi uses the star (*) system. * = coward, ** = Careful, *** = Adventurous, and **** = Native Thai. I went with three stars and that was perfect for me.

The others in our party raved over the Spicy Spring Rolls, California Rolls, Cashew Chicken, and Pork Fried Rice.

I normally wouldn't suggest driving up to the Pasco pasture lands just for food, but Bangkok Sushi would be worth the effort. And, for me, that is saying something.

Our bill for food and adult beverages for two with a 20% gratuity: $62.00. That is another plus!

Bangkok Sushi on Urbanspoon 

Bangkok Sushi on Foodio54

No comments:

Post a Comment