Quote of the Day

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Food: Oktopodi In Tarpon Springs

Ever since our trip to Greece a few years back, I have acquired a taste - nay, a craving - for octopus from time to time. It was time this past Sunday.

After our hike for physical fitness, the Belle of Ballast Point and I headed for Tarpon Springs, the renowned Greek enclave here in Florida. Our target was Paul's Shrimp House since we hadn't been there recently. Actually, only once since they moved from their original location. No reason, just lazy, I guess.

I remember Paul's shrimp as being some of the best steamed shrimp in shells that I have ever had. I am ecstatic to report that it still is - perfectly prepared and swimming in a delightful lemon butter sauce. Two tubs of cocktail sauce were served with the shrimp, but the shrimp neither needed nor benefited from that sauce. Save it for the tourists!

The moment of orgasmic gastronomy arrived when our somewhat dour server presented the LARGE platter of broiled oktopodi. The octopus was tender and tasty in the lemon infused olive oil. This was a huge serving - one of the reasons I chose Paul's. Other establishments in Tarpon Springs have great octopus, but the servings are usually rather small.

The only thing that would have made the octopus awesome would have been a little crunch that you get with grilling.

My bride, who is not an aficianado of seafood, had the Greek salad which was very pleasing to her discerning palate and dainty taste buds. This was not THE Greek salad, horiatiki, but the one with potato salad.

Following our trip to Paul's, I felt just a little guilty after stumbling upon this video:



Notice I said "just a little guilty." I still love octopus!

Paul's Shrimp House on Urbanspoon  Our meal with three beers came to just under $39.00. Good food, cold beer, and reasonable prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment