Quote of the Day

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Jury Tampering By Proxy

Michael Jackson's doctor, Conrad Murray, has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the death of the singer who had been proclaimed the king of pop. I didn't follow the trial because truthfully I didn't care. To me Jackson was just another in a long line of celebrities who contributed to their own demise through ill advised or ill thought out decisions.

Since I was neither a juror nor a spectator at the trial I can only assume that Dr. Murray should bear some of the responsibility for Jackson's death. News reports indicate that the prosecution presented a very strong case against the doctor, but my mind keeps going back to the jury. I can't help but wonder what was going through their minds during this trial.

I am not referring to the question of innocence or guilt, but rather the aftermath of the trial or what I call the Casey Anthony Syndrome. I don't know how original that is, but that is how I would classify the vicious reaction by many in our society to the Anthony not guilty verdict.

At the time, I couldn't help but wonder how future juries would feel about being seated for a highly publicized and volatile trial. Would the potential public outcry and accompanying violent threats over their verdict adversely influence their ability to render a fair and impartial decision?

I am not saying that is the case here, but I do have to wonder. How would the public have reacted to a not guilty verdict? Could this be considered jury tampering by proxy?
___________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment