Quote of the Day

Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Translation Changes A Lot, Too

Don't you just love that "Color Changes Everything" Target commercial? I know I do:


I remember that song from my childhood, but I had forgotten many of the words. And, I never knew what they meant. Thankfully, there is Google. Now I can sing along with the commercial, but I can't help but wonder if the Target ad agency has a clue as to what the song is about?

It is definitely not about shopping for stuff at Target, unless you go to Target to get plucked.

It's about plucking the feathers from a bird, one body part at a time starting with the head, to get it ready for the dinner table (English lyrics in bold):

Alouette, gentille Alouette
Lark, nice lark
Alouette, je te plumerai
Lark, I shall pluck you
Je te plumerai la tête
I shall pluck your head
(Je te plumerai la tête)
(I shall pluck your head)
Et la tête
And your head
(Et la tête)
(And your head)
Alouette
Lark
(Alouette)
(Lark)
O-o-o-oh
Alouette, gentille Alouette
Alouette, je te plumerai
Je te plumerai le bec
I shall pluck your beak
(Je te plumerai le bec)
Et le bec
(Et le bec)
Et la tête
(Et la tête)
Alouette
(Alouette)
O-o-o-oh

And the song continues until the bird has been completely and thoroughly...plucked!

Happy shopping, y'all.
________________________

Editor's note: This article is not meant as any kind of attack on Target. We do a lot of our plucking shopping there.


No comments:

Post a Comment