Quote of the Day

Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Few New Year's Ponders

The realization that a new year is upon us is finally breaking through the haze. I had to do something today that required me to know the date. Today is the birthday of our friend Sweet Polly. You are probably very familiar with her spectacular food blog, Epicurean Perils of Sweet Polly. If you are not, then a pox upon you.  She is an amazing foodie and terrific writer, and today she can now legally consume adult beverages. At least, I think that is what I heard.

But that's not what I sat down to write about. It's a new year, and I haven't yet made any revolutions. Well, there may have been a few on New Year's eve, but what I meant is resolutions. I've never really appreciated the concept that we are supposed to make promises never again to fuck up as badly this year as we fucked up last year. If you did it, you did it. "It" is now in the past. Fergit "it".

Anyhow, I pondered this resolution idea for awhile over a celebratory bottle of bubbly brew. I come up a flash! Right out of the blue it hit me. I am not a Republican, so I can't take credit for any of their faux pas. I am a Virgo, which I have been told is close to god-like perfection, or an anal retentive pain in the ass. Either way, there is not much I can do to change my birthday call sign. Oh yeah, my bride and I celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary and she is looking ahead to the 25th, one day at a time.

Taken all together, I can't see any reason to resolve anything at this time, beyond resolving to have the occasional beer...for medicinal purposes only.

Then my mind turned toward the Oracle. It is almost three years old and hasn't changed all that much in that time. I have noticed that some of my bloggy friends have been changing their format and blog design, and I come up another flash. Maybe I should do that, too.

Blogspot, the Google blogger thingy that hosts the Oracle has a bunch of new design options that really look nifty. Unfortunately, none of them are anywhere as gloomy and depressing as the design I am currently using.

"Now what," thought I?

The Oracle has always been tagged as a "general interest" blog. "Maybe that is the change I need to make for the new year," thought I, again. Beer makes me think a lot. No, beer makes me pee a lot, and I think well in the quiet confines of the water closet.

I might aught to become a full time food blogger since I do blog about food from time to time, and Urbanspoon does drive some traffic to the Oracle because of my restaurant reviews. That's it! I'll become a full time food blogger. That's my plan, man.

But how do I announce the change to my faithful general interest readers? And yes my friend, Texas Bill, I'm talking to you.

There was a radio station here in Tampa that made a format change some years ago. To break the news to their faithful listeners, some bozo came up with the brilliant idea of playing Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven over and over again, 24 hours a day for a full month.

Well, there you have it! I will just pick a Tampa restaurant and review every last freakin' item on their menu, one blog at a time, for a full month.

Wait just a New York minute. Crap, dats already being did. Somebody done stole my idea before I even come up with it. Wazzup wid dat?

I guess I will just have to leave the Oracle alone to flop aimlessly around on the blogosphere with a general interest mind of its own.

Consequently, I resolve to eschew New Year's resolutions. Let 2013 be a grand year. Let's drink!


Merry New Year to all!


Editor's note: This post has been modified just a tad from the original. The Belle of Ballast Point thought the first drinking song was a little over the top, so...

As I have said before - if the Belle is unhappy, then everyone is unhappy.


No comments:

Post a Comment