Quote of the Day

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Mittagessen Zu Schiller's German Delicatessen

In the mood for German food (i.e., Deutsche bier), I suggested to the Belle of Ballast Point that we try Schiller's Delicatessen at 4327 West El Prado in South Tampa for our noonday repast.

I hadn't been to Schiller's in an embarassingly long time, but I was anxious to pay them a visit after discovering that they have a few tables for sit-down dining and they serve beer - really good German beer - a Spaten for her and a Einbeck for me.


We stepped up to the counter to place our orders, and after a few minutes trying to decide what I wanted, I asked the charming lady behind the counter what she considered Schiller's signature dish to be. She humbly stated that most all of their dishes should be considered signature, but she recommended the sausage plate with German potato salad.

The sausages were tasty and delicious, and after a couple of Einbecks I have no idea what they were - besides good. My side was as good, if not better than my Grandmother's German potato salad. And yes, my Grandmother was German. The mustard was ever so slightly sweet and was a perfect accompaniment to the sausage.

Let's not forget that roll - it was crunchy on the exterior with a soft, tasty center.


Mien Frau decided on a sandwich - the Schiller's Deli Sandwich with Black Forest ham, Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, mustard and mayo on pumpernickel bread. As a side, she requested the macaroni salad. I have no translation for YUMMO, but that pretty much covers my bride's assessment of lunch. And, that bier? Sehr gute!


We were truly impressed with the food, the beer, and most especially the friendly folks at Schiller's deli. I imagine that if you planned a German dinner at home you would find most everything needed at Schiller's.



Schiller's German Delicatessan on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. I love you guys, but hate German food. At least I think I do. I will not eat green eggs and ham...I will not eat them Sam-I-am. :p

    Okay...maybe I'll try it based on your rec alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth be told Sweet Polly, I am not a fan of German food either...a little goes a long way, but those sausages and German tater salad was good. Of course, my favorite German food is bier. Yes, beer!

    As a wise person once said, "Food has no beer value, but beer does have some food value."

    On a side note, I mourn the passing last week of William Watts Biggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After mulling over my previous comment, I think I should clarify by saying that I don't particularly like German food here in the United States, or at least in the Tampa area.

      I had some spectacular meals while in Germany - Idar Oberstein in particular. The spiessbraten and radish salad served at the Im Haag, for instance, was superb.

      I am not sure what typically happens to German food when it comes to America. It may be dumbed down for dull American tastebuds, or it could be that the really tasty meats found in Germany are not readily available in this country since we breed all the fats and flavor out of our foods.

      Schiller's appears to be an exception. It would be interesting to see what they could do as a full fledged restaurant.

      Delete
  3. And, no - Schiller's didn't get a faux certificate from the Oracle.

    ReplyDelete