Quote of the Day

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

James Joyce In Ybor City

Ireland sober is Ireland stiff. ~ James Joyce

With no desire to be Ireland stiff, my bride and I made our way to Ybor City yesterday evening to enjoy a pint or two and loosen up at The James Joyce Irish Pub at 1724 E. 8th Avenue (formerly the Mema's Alaskan Taco's building).

Mary, our friendly server at Luigi's, told us a couple of weeks ago we really needed to hit the pub on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. "Why," we queried? The answer was simple: LOBSTER! More to the point, the pub features 1 1/2 to 2 pound cold water lobsters for the unbelievably low price of $9.99 each on those evenings from 5 to 9.

I loves lobster almost as much as a freshly shucked oyster on the half shell, so I had...I say again...had to go.

The Belle of Ballast Point and I arrived around five-ish and were invited to sit where we pleased. We chose to sit at the bar because the bar stools have backs and we find them to be more comfortable if we are going to linger for any length of time...and we were.

 







Brandon, our bartender, promptly took our drink orders. When asked what I preferred, I had to respond, "When in an Irish pub it would seem sinful not to quaff a Guinness on tap." Brandon seemed to agree. 

With 50 brews to choose from, the Belle struggled with a decision, finally choosing a Magic Hat #9.






 
 




Not being a lobster aficionado (I know, a character flaw, but I still love her) my bride chose the Shepherd's Pie that she deemed to be savory, perfectly prepared, and very filling.










I, post haste, launched into my lobster, ripping off a claw with wild abandon. The Belle wondered why I didn't whip out my camera for a foodie photo. Oh, yeah!


 



With slippery, buttery fingers, I endeavored to capture a couple of images without losing my grip...on the camera. I was already in swoon mode over that lobster.







The lobster was so good I couldn't help but order one more, and at a penny less than $10, why not?

With three beers, two lobsters, shepherd's pie, and a side salad, our total for the evening was $54.25. Of course, we added 20% as a gratuity for good service.

I look forward to a return visit.
Laughter is brightest where food is best.
An old Irish proverb - See more at: http://www.st-patricks-day.com/aboutireland_quotes.html#sthash.oluDj0Wc.dpuf
Laughter is brightest where food is best.
An old Irish proverb - See more at: http://www.st-patricks-day.com/aboutireland_quotes.html#sthash.oluDj0Wc.dpuf

James Joyce Irish Pub on Urbanspoon

James Joyce Irish Pub on Foodio54

Sláinte, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment